AdRoll’s recent State of the Industry was conducted by third-party research company Qualtrics and surveyed 265 ANZ marketers to ask their perspective on the changing dynamics of the advertising and marketing landscape.
The report notes that attribution is still a key concern of ANZ marketers with 41% of marketers not sure how to effectively implement or analyse attribution tracking, yet 92% consider attribution to be important or critical to marketing success. Not really surprising considering until recently it hasn’t really been spoken about much in this region.
The research also indicates marketers have fully embraced the programmatic era! Hooray! An incredible 92% of marketers are planning for their programmatic budgets to increase or stay the same over 2016 and 55% of marketers are seeing greater return through programmatic ads compared to traditional media buying. The efficiency of programmatic is undeniable.
I’ve been in the marketing game for coming up to 10 years now and we are becoming more and more technology driven each year. It’s exciting but comes with new and difficult issues. Attribution is shaping up as one of the hottest topics in 2016, and for good reason. Measurement and accountability are becoming more and more important to the marketer’s core role, proving that marketing can shift the needle on how the business performs is critical to success.
Of course attribution isn’t the only interesting topic is this year’s report, it also shows that programmatic is impacting the advertising world well beyond its roots in display by capturing conversions on mobile and social as well. Key findings include:
- The programmatic era
- 92% of marketers are planning for programmatic ad budgets to increase or stay the same in the coming year
- 55% of marketers are seeing greater return through programmatic ads compared to traditional media buying.
- ANZ marketers purchase programmatic ads across a range of channels with the most popular being social media at 68%
- Media buys are matching modern, mobile media consumption
- 70% of marketers purchase social media space programmatically
- 52% of B2B marketers are currently retargeting on mobile, compared to only 41% of B2C marketers
- Over 1/2 of marketers say social media is the hottest topic in retargeting, with email retargeting placing second
- The attribution gap is on marketers’ minds
- 92% consider attribution to be important or critical to success
- 49% feel that the future of attribution is better multi-touch tracking
- 41% aren’t sure how to effectively implement or analyse attribution tracking
- Retargeting is still a top performing channel
- 38% spend 10–25% of their entire online ad budget on retargeting
- 31% intend to increase their retargeting budgets over the next 12 months
- 62% say the top objective for retargeting is brand awareness
Download the full State of the Industry Report here.