2nd Mobile Ratings Report - August Data, 2015
IAB Australia and Nielsen have released the second Mobile Story report, drawing insights from the official release of industry-supported smartphone and tablet ratings preview data (Mobile Ratings) for the Australian market. This report is an important milestone in this particularly complex area of measurement and it marks yet another significant step forwards in measuring the digital media landscape in Australia.
With over 15 million Australians now owning a smartphone and some 11 million owning a tablet device, it’s critical that the industry has access to audience measurement data which quantifies the importance of mobile media audiences and helps to inform marketing investments.
Key findings in the August 2015 Report:
12.5 million Australians 18+ accessed the internet on their smartphones and 7 million accessed via a tablet.
• Australians 18+ spend just under 35 hours per person per month on smartphones, and just over 25 hours per person per month on tablet devices.
• Smartphone users average 206 sessions per month which is more than 4 times than that of people using PCs.
• Australians spend close to 33 hours on smartphone apps and just over 4 hours on their smartphone browsers each month.
• Although the growth in smartphone and tablet device ownership has plateaued in the past 3 months, time being spent on smartphones is increasing month-on-month.
• Government, banking and classifieds & auctions sub-categories in Australia have a stronger active reach (%) compared to the U.S. market.
• Entertainment, search and social categories are the largest in the Australian market which rivals the U.S. market in terms of active reach (%).
• Social, video/movies, gaming, messaging, music, travel, finance and news & information categories all have larger audiences on smartphone than on desktop.
• Social, entertainment and gaming drive the most time spent on smartphone and tablet.
• Australians now consume more news & information content on their smartphone than tablet or PC.
Download the Report below.