Privacy Commissioner’s Privacy Checklist for Small Business
Does your small business have an annual turnover of $3 million or less AND is it either:
- a health service provider?
- trading in personal information?
- related to a larger business?
- a contractor that provides services under a Commonwealth contract?
- a reporting entity for the purpose of the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Act 2006 (AML/CTF Act)?
- an operator of a residential tenancy database?
If so, your small business may need to comply with the Privacy Act. The steps in the Checklist should help you decide if your small business needs to comply with the Privacy Act. If you are still not sure if your business needs to comply you may need to get more advice from your lawyer or other advisers.