Privacy Commissioner’s Information Sheet: Collecting Personal Information
National Privacy Principle (NPP) 1.3 requires an organisation collecting personal information about an individual directly from that individual to 'take reasonable steps to ensure that the individual is aware of:
- the identity of the organisation and how to contact it; and
- the fact that he or she is able to gain access to the information; and
- the purposes for which the information is collected; and
- the organisations (or the types of organisations) to which the organisation usually discloses information of that kind; and
- any law that requires the particular information to be collected; and
- the main consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the information is not provided.