1st Mobile Ratings Report - July 2015
IAB Australia and Nielsen today released Nielsen’s Mobile Ratings Report, the first official step towards releasing the industry-supported smartphone and tablet audience measurement for the Australia market. It follows on from the pilot work completed in 2014 by IAB Australia, the digital industry and Nielsen to build quality panels to measure smartphone and tablet users.
The release of mobile audience data via the Mobile Ratings Report is the first phase of major upgrades to the digital audience measurement system in Australia.
Key findings of the July 2015, Mobile Ratings Report include:
- 12.5 million Australians accessed the internet on smartphones and 7.4 million Australians on tablets
- Australians 18+ spend more time on smartphones than any other digital device, with just over 33 hours per person per month spent browsing or using apps
- Current Events and Global News category is dominated by the same brands that have historically been strong on desktop (news.com.au, smh.com.au)
9 million Australians used commerce or shopping sites on their smartphone and 5 million on their tablet
- Over 10.7 million Australians used video and streaming services on their smartphone and 5.1 million on their tablets
75% of Australian smartphone users are connecting to financial services or information every month
- Time spent browsing or on applications is now highest on smartphones than desktop or any other device with 42 percent of total time spent on smartphones
- More than 10 million Australians are using smartphones for entertainment, news, social and search each month
Full report is available to be downloaded below.